In fifth grade, I had the biggest crush on a boy.
- His name was Jeff.
- He had brown hair.
- He was dreamy.
I was a little behind my friends at that point.
- I liked boys.
- But wasn’t sure what to do with them.
- Boyfriends were things I read about or sang about.
Valentine’s Day came that year.
- I was extra hopeful.
- And totally freaked out.
- What if Jeff didn’t give me a valentine?
My friends got lots of valentines.
- They already had boyfriends.
- I got some from my friends.
- And none from Jeff.
I cried when I got home.
- In the privacy of my room.
- Why didn’t Jeff like me?
- Why didn’t I have a boyfriend like my friends?
I’ve since figured boys out…
- Sort of.
- Am now happily married.
- To James instead of Jeff.
A tiny part of my heart still has a bittersweet smile on Valentine’s Day for the boy who got away.
Makes me think of chapter leaders…Do your members feel love from your chapter?