Last night I watched Glee.
- It’s a new TV show about building a glee club in high school.
- I’m a sucker for those kinds of shows.
- (Can’t wait to see the new Fame movie either.)
I sang for several years growing up.
- Was in a competitive choir.
- Ensemble groups.
- And church choir.
Glee brought back many fond memories.
- It made me smile.
- Miss the joy of singing.
- And the fun of being on a musical team.
So I’m signing up for Ann Arbor’s Civic Chorus.
- It’s a pretty sophisticated group – tryouts required.
- I sang with them about five years ago for a season.
- Then I started my MBA – and reality hit.
Singing with Civic Chorus is a bit of a trip.
- I used to sing alto but can now sing as a lady tenor.
- Shifting to bass clef is a challenge for my sight reading.
- And demands total focus in the moment.
In other words, it’s also a fabulous time out from my regularly scheduled life!
(First concert in December. Anyone want to attend?)
Makes me think of chapter leaders…how do you take advantage of pop culture to attract more members?
Crowdsourcing is the sexy name.
- It’s simply old-fashioned polling.
- Vote on your favorites.
- Decide which person/idea/thing wins.
It picked up speed with reality shows.
- Vote for the best.
- Decide who leaves.
- (Like my one vote really matters.)
TV voting was okay.
- I chose to watch the show.
- Didn’t have to pick up the phone.
- It was a pretty non-invasive experience.
- Now crowdsourcing is everywhere.
- It’s the hottest new way.
- Vote today!
Examples from my inbox…
- Here are 10 things that might be on sale Saturday, vote for top 5.
- We are planning our magazine, vote for your favorite topics.
- And the almost hourly requests for votes for a week from multiple folks trying to be picked to speak at SXSW.
- My inbox overflows with requests to vote.
- The novelty of crowdsourcing is dying.
- (If not yet, soon.)
I need a vacation from crowdsourcing!
(Shall we vote on where I should go to relax?)
Makes me think of chapter leaders…how do you know when it’s time to shift gears with your members so your communications don’t become spam?
This weekend I finally saw the new Star Trek movie.
- James had been begging for a while.
- He loved it and I thought I would too.
- I was skeptical.
Basically Star Trek got a new life.
- It was the same Star Trek.
- And it wasn’t.
- Much more than just a remake.
More like a new chapter.
- New actors in classic roles.
- Guiding principles honored.
- And ability to go where they had never gone before.
James was right.
- The movie had me emotionally hooked within the first five minutes.
- And crying at the end.
- The in-between stuff was interesting too.
When the movie was over, I wanted more.
- Me, who was definitely NOT a Trekkie.
- Considered the original Star Trek outdated.
- And would rather watch paint dry.
With this new crew and updated world, I was sold.
Makes me think of chapter leaders…what would a little updating do for your chapter?
The holiday weekend is calling…
- Family and friends.
It’s also a great time to prep your leadership skills for this fall!
- That’s fun, right?
- Of course it is.
- Here are simple three things you can do.
1. Join the Chapter Leaders Playground.
- The $50 membership is FREE this weekend.
- Listen to the archived “Delegating for Outrageous Results.”
- (Actually, you can listen later – just make sure you join this weekend.)
2. Get Your Lazy Leader On.
3. Register for the Lazy Leader Road Show Tour
- I’m doing 2-hour public seminars this fall – to transform America.
- Price to attend only $10-19/person!
- It’s a two-minute action with major potential.
Now that your leadership skills have moved forward at least a little, go kick back and have a fab Labor Day Weekend!
Makes me think of chapter leaders…how do you help make it easier for your members be more successful?